1. The longer the lead time the better – it’s never too early to start discussing ideas.
2. Agree the most important things your company needs to get out of the marketing project.
3. Put as much information as possible into your brief and background information. The better the brief the better the job. It will take you longer, but it will save you so much money in the long run.
4. Build in as much time as possible for any production. Allow for amends, last minute changes are expensive. (You know the old saying ‘You can have any two – cheap, fast or good – but not all three!’)
5. Do a ‘chemistry test’, not a beauty parade, pick up the phone, meet up face to face and see if your agency gets you. If not move on…